Download Audio: A History of Sexual Misinformationread more
The LoveLife Blog: guidance on mindful, bodyful, soulful loving!
Why is our society so sexually screwed-up?
Basically, it’s because we’ve had two to three thousand years of sexual suppression.
During these millennia two very damaging myths have been held as truths in western society:
- That sex is a base, animalistic activity, as opposed to spiritual and ‘higher’ human endeavors; and
- That men are innately more sexual than women.
The first myth, that sex is a ‘low’, animalistic activity not a ‘high’ activity, has meant that sex has not been studied properly, has not been taught to our young people, has not been a topic of open discussion, and has not been considered a part of life that should be developed and enhanced.
This means that society’s knowledge of sex is very limited, and we are nowhere near achieving anything like our sexual potentials,... read more
Women and men have differences, sure, but we're not that different.
The most similar creature to Man is Woman, and the most similar creature to Woman is Man. We share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees, we share 60% of our DNA with fruit flies for goodness sake!
I get tired of people saying “women are such and such” and “men are such and such”.
If we lined all the men and women of the world up in a line from most to least [insert adjective] you'd often find a predominance of one sex at either end, but there would be a big overlap in the middle. That applies to size, strength, emotions, interests, libido...
Yes, the strongest people in the world are probably male, but there are a lot of women who are stronger than a lot of men.
Yes, probably there are more men at the highest end of raging libido, but you'll find women up there too, and plenty of men with no interest whatsoever.
Can We Ditch the Stereotypes Please!
Plenty of people are the opposite of what they typically “should” be according to gender stereotypes:
- There are women who are lousy communicators, and men who are brilliant at it;
- There are... read more
- #340: What Comes Before Consent
- #339: More than Sex-Positive, We Need to be Sex-Comfortable
- #338: Get Off the Hedonistic Treadmill!
- #337: You Can't Search for Love. It's Already There. You Can Only Remove the Barriers to Let It In
- #336: How to Communicate Complaints Effectively
- #335: Nurture Your Soul with Sex
- #334: How to Express Your Emotions Without Being "Emotional"
- #333: Q&A: We're Time Poor - How Do We Add Some Zing?
- #332: Be Conscious Not Complacent
- #331: It's OK to Disappoint Your Partner
- #330: Moans & Groans – why sound is good in sex and how to make more
- #329: Gateways to the Erotic Shift
- #328: Safety is Sexy
- #327: Pace Your Sexual Interactions
- #326: Fly on the Wall Friday - my new Video Series
to LOVELIFE News for regular inspiration on sex, love and intimacy!